"I have the authority as a law enforcement officer to take away people's rights."
~Benton County Undersheriff, Greg Ridler
August 17, 2021
Benton County Sheriff has said they will refuse to allow a member in to complete their CHL paperwork without a mask! They have also threatened trespass and arrest. This office clearly believes they are above the Oregon Constitution, Oregon laws, and the People so we need to show up with him in numbers!
This member has religious reasons AND reasons under ADA for not wearing a mask. The county has also not responded to his request for an ADA exemption. We will be supporting his right to EQUAL ACCESS UNDER THE LAW and his SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS.
TOMORROW, THURS 8/19: SHOW UP IN PERSON TO SUPPORT THIS MEMBER AT HIS APPOINTMENT!
Benton County Sheriff's office Thursday 8/19 (tomorrow) @ 10:30am
180 NW Fifth St. Corvallis, OR
WHAT YOU CAN BRING:
Printouts of applicable laws to hand to sheriff/personnel
Phone for recording/facetiming
Any relevant signage
INTERACTING WITH SHERIFF’S OFFICE PERSONNEL:
Let the member we are supporting lead, but be strong in your support for him
Be polite but firm, reasonable and confident
Don’t argue or be aggressive in any way
PLEASE CALL AND/OR EMAIL ANY OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING TO CONVEY YOUR CONCERNS, ESPECIALLY Sheriff Jeff Van Arsdall via Katie Cooper and Greg Ridler:
Katie Cooper: sheriff’s office admin assist. 541.766.6811
Greg Ridler: Benton County Undersheriff 541.766.6870
Jef Van Arsdall: Benton County Sheriff 541.766.6858
Joseph Kerby (mask exemptions): 541.766.6800
Benton County Board of Commissioners Office: 541.766.6800
Nancy Wyse: Commissioner
Pat Malone: Commissioner
Xanthippe Augerot: Chair
Email addresses of the above people that you may copy and paste into one email so they all receive it:
Katie.email@example.com, Gregory.firstname.lastname@example.org, Jefri.email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com More here: https://www.co.benton.or.us/boc/custom-contact-page/board-commissioners-contact-information
1. Oregon Constitution, Article 1, Section 3 – Freedom of religious opinion
No law shall in any case whatever control the free exercise, and enjoyment of religious opinions, or interfere with the rights of conscience.
2. Oregon statute ORS 659A.403 – Discrimination in Place of Public Accommodation Prohibited
(1) . . . all persons within the jurisdiction of this state are entitled to the full and equal accommodations, advantages, facilities and privileges of any place of public accommodation, without any distinction, discrimination or restriction on account of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status or age if the individual is of age. . . .
(3) It is an unlawful practice for any person to deny full and equal accommodations, advantages, facilities and privileges of any place of public accommodation in violation of this section.
3. Oregon statute ORS 166.291 – Issuance of Concealed Hand Gun License
(1) The sheriff of a county, upon a person’s application for an Oregon concealed handgun license . . . shall issue the person a concealed handgun license [upon meeting all criteria—[which this person does].